Major Tracie K. Konietzko
Former Acquisitions Advisor to the Chief Software Officer, Air Force
Major Konietzko is currently the Director of the Air Force Digital Service and is detailed to the Defense Digital Service, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C. There she is the liaison to connect the Air Force to a SWAT team of experts available to tackle the Department of Defense’s most critical technical initiatives.
She commissioned through the Reserve Officer Training Corps Detachment 415 and entered the Air Force in July 2006. Her first assignment brought her to Hanscom AFB, Massachusetts where she worked on two major, software intense programs (UEWR and BCS-F), as well as, serving as the ESC/CC Aide-de-Camp.
From 2010 to 2015, Maj Konietzko worked on developing and integrating cyber and influence operations intelligence-based tactics into large-scale training exercises such as RED FLAG. As an Aggressor, she qualified in many mission roles including a Group Mission CC (“Chairman”) for RED FLAG integrating Air, Space, and Cyberspace domains to prepare USAF, Joint, and Coalition Partner forces for tomorrow’s victories. During this tour, she deployed to AF Center for Engineering and the Environment (AFCEE), Lackland AFB, Texas to act as Deputy Division Chief for multiple construction projects totaling $617M located at Camp Bastion, Leatherneck, and Tombstone, Helmund province, Afghanistan. While maintaining her mission role her last year, she also was selected for Group Executive Officer which included managing the Group CSS.
Major Konietzko served as an Air Force Engineering Assignments Officer, Headquarters Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas from 2015 to 2017. In this capacity, she directed worldwide assignments and led the execution of total force development for more than 3,200 engineering officers. Additionally, she was a key advisor to the Acquisition Development Team during officer vectoring and competitive selection boards. Following this assignment in 2018, she completed Air Force Intermediate Developmental Education through the Air Force National Laboratory Technology Fellows Program (AFNLTFP) located at Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls, Idaho. Her research focus was on Operational Technology (OT) Cyber Vulnerabilities’ Effects on Air Force Mission Readiness by analyzing current base preparedness.
Most recently, Major Konietzko was the Chief, Cyber Warfare Branch for the Information Dominance Directorate, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics, Washington, D.C. She was also dual-hatted as the inaugural Deputy to the Chief Software Officer under the Secretary of the Air Force.
- July 2006 – July 2007, Project Engineer, Upgraded Early Warning Radar (UEWR), 850th Electronic Systems Group, Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts.
- July 2007 – September 2008, Test and Evaluation Functional Manager, Upgraded Early Warning Radar (UEWR), 850th Electronic Systems Group, Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts.
- September 2008 – April 2009, Logistics and Sustainment Program Manager, Battle Control Systems – Fixed (BCS-F), 650th Electronic Systems Squadron, Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts.
- April 2009 – May 2010, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander/Executive Officer to the Chief of Staff, Headquarters Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts.
- May 2010 – December 2010, Assistant Flight Commander, Influence Operations, 57th Information Aggressor Squadron, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada.
- December 2010 – May 2012, Assistant Flight Commander, Weapons and Tactics, 57th Information Aggressor Squadron, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada.
- May 2012 – March 2014, Flight Commander, Threat Flight, 57th Information Aggressor Squadron, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada.
- March 2014 – June 2015, Executive Officer/Mission Commander, 57th Adversary Tactics Group, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada.
- June 2015 – June 2017, Engineering Assignments Officer, Headquarters Air Force Personnel Center, Joint Base San Antonio (JBSA) Randolph Air Force Base, Texas.
- June 2017 – June 2018, Air Force Fellow, Air Force National Laboratory Technology Fellows Program (AFNLTFP) – IDE, Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls, ID.
- June 2018 – June 2019, PEM, Cyber Warfare, SAF/AQIT, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
- June 2019 – June 2020, Chief, Cyber Warfare Branch, SAF/AQIT & Deputy, Chief Software Officer, AF CSO, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
- July 2020 – Present, Director of the Air Force Digital Service, Defense Digital Service (Military Detail), Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- 1998 Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music, Saint Cloud State University, Saint Cloud, MN
- 2006 Bachelor of Electrical Engineering Degree, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2008 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL 2012 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL 2013 Masters of Business Administration, Ashford University, Clinton, IA
- 2018 Intermediate Development Education, Air Force National Laboratory Fellows Program (AFNLTFP), Idaho Falls, ID
- 2020 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL, by correspondence
- Industrial Control Systems (ICS) Cybersecurity (301)
- Cybersecurity for Industrial Control Systems (ICS) (210W)
- Operational Security (OPSEC) for Control Systems (100W)
- Engineering Level 2
- Surveillance Detection for Law Enforcement and Security Professionals (PER-346)
- Contracting Officer Representative (COR)
- Program Management Level 1
- Test &Evaluation Level 1
- SC/MD-MW Test Manager Workshop
Major Awards and Decorations:
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Joint Service Commendation Medal
- Air Force Commendation Medal
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- HQ AFPC Directorate of Personnel Operations, Assignments Officer of Quarter, Apr – Jun 16
- USAF Warfare Center ISR Officer Contributor of the Year – 2011
- Missile Defense Agency (MDA) Annual Employee Award – Test, Sensors Directorate – 2009
- 350th Electronic Systems Wing Jr CGO of the Quarter – 3Q’08
Effective Dates of Promotion:
- Second Lieutenant June 14, 2006
- First Lieutenant June 14, 2008
- Captain June 14, 2010
- Major October 1, 2017
(Current as of May 2020)